Sunday, March 29, 2015

To Spank or Not to Spank

So, corporal punishment. Or, maybe more specifically, spanking. It’s not actually something I feel so strongly on, just because I don't think it's going to have a big impact on a kid either way—assuming it doesn’t reach the level of serious abuse (whatever that means). So long as there aren’t any bruises, and it’s used sparingly, and there’s plenty of “You know I don’t want to do this, but here’s why I have to…” talk, then whatever. I recognize that there really is a distinction to be made between spanking your child and actually beating them, though I would still say I’m against the use of physical punishment in general. Obviously Hana and her brothers weren’t traumatized from occasionally being spanked, nor were Daniel or RJ, nor were my siblings and I, but did it really have such a positive effect? Not likely, I don’t think. Maybe with younger kids, in the short term, spanking can keep them from doing a particular thing. But I don’t buy that it has any lasting effect on moral character or one’s respect for authority. Having the threat of being spanked didn’t make me more respectful. If anything it made me more belligerent, as I was offended by how belittling and pointless it was. Plus it almost makes it more of a personal challenge to push the envelope and see what you can get away with. Really, it would be more effective to just level with the kid and explain to them why something is wrong or right. You can’t hope to get respect from someone if you can’t show them any, even if they’re not an adult.


Still, I’m not about to make it my mission to stop people from spanking they’re kids if they so choose; if it makes you feel better as a parent, go for it. I’m just surprised that Daniel was ever paddled in public school—even in Alabama! I wonder how prevalent it is nowadays. Apparently it’s legal in the state of South Carolina as well, though I’ve never heard of it happening. It may vary by school district, but I’m sure it used to happen way back when. Looks like it's on its way out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm too somewhat indifferent to it, though not going to be a practitioner myself. The really weird thing to me is the very aggressively pro-spanking types. I get thinking that it can be effective, a necessarily evil if you will, but I really don't get the types who seem to think it is somehow beneficial, like a positive good. It seems that these folks are really latching onto it more as a symbol of some cultural statement they want to make. And I certainly don't think kids behind's should be made the butt (sorry) of cultural statements made through physical punishment, no matter how gentle the contact.

    ReplyDelete