Tuesday, April 21, 2015

It's all Greek to me

I think I should probably admit right of the bat that, frankly, I have absolutely no interest in the Greek system. At all. I didn't feel any desire to join a fraternity and I don't really have any desire to talk about them now. As a target for ridicule, Greek life is a bit stale; chastising them is too obvious. Why bother to waste your breathe making an argument that makes itself? Well, that's part of it. Also, in all honestly, I may not know enough to make any definitive judgments. All those letters people are always throwing around sound like some kind of foreign language. I'm pretty sure (though not positive) that the number of sororities and fraternities on campus could be counted on two hands; even still, I couldn't name half of them. Still, I guess I know a little bit... and since when does blogging demand anything more than that?

Fraternities are what they are. Surely everyone knows this. There really isn't all that much to be confused about, and we shouldn't suddenly act surprised whenever we hear about a hazing incident or come across some sign of group conformity and close-mindedness. Any kind of close-knit group is going to encouragement group mentality, especially when its set up as this exclusive brotherhood with its traditions and rituals. Brady is right, of course, to suggest that people will inevitably fall into this very Orwellian state of mindless "groupthink." And to some extent this is alright; usually it's all pretty benign and no one has to get particularly hurt. People are giving up part of their individuality--and, yes, some of their money--when they join a fraternity, but we all barter those things away on a daily basis. No one is immune to social pressure or free from the influence of others. But unless things are reaching a very dark, cultish level of zombie-obedience I think it'll be fine. I permit frat bros and sorority girls to go right on ahead doing what they're doing, including going through a thoroughly miserable pledge process. They have that right. They also have the right to be racist and sexist and homophobic and whatever else. So long as they realize they're living in an age of increased consequences, where ever is keeping a wary eye on them.

P.S. I would just say that if the worst thing about rushing is having to stay up until 2 in the morning, I don't see what all the fuss is about. That's earlier than I normally go sleep. Six hours of sleep may not be all that great but it's more than enough to be able to function like a normal person...

1 comment:

  1. That's very true--I don't think my roommate got any less sleep during pleading, because he already got so little sleep in the first place. I think your point is a good one--groupthink sounds Orwellian, but we all engage in it to some extent. It's part of life. Is the group mentality encouraged by frats worse than that created by other organizations? Maybe slightly, but there are certainly positive aspects which counterbalance those. The issue is whether institutions should actually sponsor such groups which may be encouraging or at least creating tolerance for destructive behaviors.

    ReplyDelete